We have talked about and showed you the importance of being there for consumers in the Zero Moment of Truth, but what's next? You put a lot of time and effort into crafting your content and perfecting your SEO so it can easily be found, but how do you get your potential customers to take the next step and become paying customers? It's easy — you tell them EXACTLY what you want them to do. Every piece of content you produce should include a call to action (CTA) that tells the consumer what it is they need to do next.
What is a Call to Action?
While the phrase "call to action" itself sounds pretty formal (like something a leader would say to rally his or her troops before battle), calls to action themselves are actually very simple — they're statements that direct people to the next step in their problem-solving process. Some examples of CTAs are:
- "Call now to schedule a consultation!"
- "Download our free eBook to learn even more!"
- "Fill out our contact form and someone will be in touch with you soon!"
Every piece of content you produce should include a CTA — every webpage, blog post, social media update, landing page, email, etc. You never know when or where a customer will find the information that makes them decide to choose your product or service as the solution to their problem, so you should always make it easy for them to follow through once they've made their choice.
Creating Compelling Calls to Action
So, a CTA truly is as simple as just telling someone to call and schedule a consultation, and trust us, having that is definitely better than nothing. But to see substantial results, your CTAs need to be compelling. One automatic way to take your calls to action to the next level is to make them graphical. Words and pictures are a winning combination if used correctly, so be sure you:
- Speak directly to the audience. Write your copy as if you are personally speaking to every individual who visits your site
- Keep it concise. People are quick to move on if they can't get what they want right away; just get to the point
- Make the benefit clear. Let your audience know exactly what is is they're getting out of following through with what you're telling them to do
- Suggest they take the action now. Creating a sense of urgency or immediacy can help nudge people into actually taking action
- Make sure the CTA stands out. The graphic needs to be consistent with your branding, but it also needs to stand out from everything else on the page
- Make it look clickable. Including a button that looks clickable works wonders
So here's my call to action: Do you think your website and other marketing efforts could be doing more to inspire potential customers to act now? Click the banner below to get a free inbound marketing assessment — we'll go through your site and let you know what's working and where we can help you improve! Need other marketing advice? Give us a call at (864) 288-6162 or contact us online today—we'd love to help you out!